Fentanyl overdoses are skyrocketing in New Jersey. The drug that claimed the life of Prince is now claiming the lives of more and more New Jerseyans recent data shows.
Fentanyl was discovered to be the cause of Prince’s death. The singer was addicted to painkiller medication and, while thinking that he was taking his usual dose, he managed to overdose on the deadly substance.
Fentanyl was first used as an anesthetic due to its potency. However, since the end of last year, the medication started to appear on the drug market, tainting doses of heroin or other opioids.
Dealers usually mix it with more expensive drugs to make them cheaper and stronger. Others sell it as OxyContin or Vicodin, which are much more costly to manufacture than Fentanyl.
However, some addicts ask their dealers for the drug because they heard about its strength. Their addiction makes them curious about the effects of the new wonder medicine that is almost fifty times more potent that heroin.
Fentanyl overdoses are skyrocketing in New Jersey because the substance can be smoked, ingested, absorbed through skin, or snorted. No matter the way in which the victim gets in contact with the material, they get the maximum amount of strength.
DEA investigators were warned to use protective equipment at crime scenes since just a small amount can be fatal.
Fentanyl has been on the market for several years, but the deaths caused by overdoses have been significantly increasing in the past two years. Compared to 2013, the drug is now killing eight times more Garden State residents.
This year, over 150 individuals died of Fentanyl overdose, the number of victims is higher than all of the 2014 deaths. The situation is alarming, to say the least seeing as it’s only June.
A special agent of the DEA, Carl Kotowski, declared that the drug is extremely deadly. With heroin, a victim of overdose has chances of survival as long as he or she is reached in time. However, with Fentanyl overdoses, death is imminent. Unfortunately, it takes a small amount of the drug to claim the life of an addict.
Up until recently, the market was limited because the drug was only prescribed in extreme pain management situations. Now, the DEA suspects that the medicine is illegally smuggled into the country from China and Mexico.
Image source: Wikipedia